Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Vacation...I looooove it!


VACATION....

It's probably one of my favorite times of the year...for the simple reason that it allows me to step out of reality for a week and enjoy a relaxed pace of life...no work, no "necessary" alarm, no schedule conflicts...the only thing I had to think about was what I wanted to eat, and when I wanted to sleep:) However, I am back to reality now and have almost gotten back into the swing of things...



Generally, I'm pretty good at planning and preparing myself for various things...but this year was quite different. I had good intentions of being packed a day or two in advance so I could "enjoy" getting ready for the trip, rather than being stressed, but that didn't happen! I had a friend come in from out of town the night before I left, so I decided it'd be much smarter to hang out than pack and get sleep...it was a good choice:) I barely woke up at 4 in the morning on the day I left....but I rolled out of bed, got my stuff together, and managed to convince one of my roommates to take me to the airport...the incentive was that she could drive Maxwell (my car:)) to and from the airport if she would take me! How could anyone turn that offer down!?! So I got to the airport, got through security, and the minute I sat down, my eyes literally shut and I was out until I heard calls for my plane boarding! I walked onto the plane, and again, was knocked out once I sat down...the only thing I remember was feeling the bump as we safely landed (much better than another plane experience, when I fell asleep and a man spilled his cup of water on me...I heard him say "maybe she won't notice" to the flight attendant, so I had to pretend i was sleep the entire trip with cold water on my lap..aye!). I met up with my family and we stopped at the Cracker Barrel (a tradition) on the way into TN! Once we ate our big breakfast at Cracker Barrel, vacation had officially begun!




I won't go into toooooo much detail with the week...but it was great! The only negative to the trip was that my sister and I got jipped out of the master bedroom in our condo, and instead spent the week in the twin bedroom, letting my little brother (who normally gets to sleep on the floor or a pull out couch) take the master bedroom....actually we didn't really "let" him...he threatened to lock us out of the condo if we didn't let him get the big room:)



For those of you who don't know, we go to TN every year...and have gone nearly every year since my sister was a baby (so, 25 years now)...we have timeshare down there, so being at Fairfield Glade, is almost like a second home to us...we have the same condos each year, see the same workers, do many of the same activities...its just second nature! I love it:) We had beautiful weather the entire week...90s, and sunny! There were a few days at the end of the week with evening rain showers, and one huge storm the last night (it actually knocked the power out, so we had to entertain a number of little cousins with no lights or running water for a few hours...)...but for the most part the weather was screaming for us to be outside and living it up!!



The reason I love vacation (which I sort of mentioned earlier) is that it's so laid back and just relaxing...some vacations are busy...going to do this, or that....but when I'm in TN my days went a little something like this....wake up...go for a morning jog before the sun gets crazy hot...end up at the tennis courts after my jog and watch some of the family tennis tournament--I like playing tennis, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert, and I figured it was safer for me to watch and admire rather than getting into the fierce competition (some of my family members have been known to throw rackets due to loss or frustration! yikes!!). A few of the days I did dabble at the game just for fun, but never got too far before I was kicked off the court for the serious players! :) After tennis, we would head over to the pool and jump in as soon as we got there...it was SO stinkin' hot that I could barely wait to get into the chilly water! Oh, and I can't forget to mention the daily slushies that were quite refreshing after being sweaty and gross! After being at the pool for a few hours, I generally went back to my condo....watched tv, relaxed, or took a nap...then we'd find something fun to do in the afternoon, meet up with the rest of the family for dinner, and then the evenings consisted of games, cards, reminiscing (as we do every year), and lots of laughing!



We were also able to get out on a lake one of the afternoons...that was a lot of fun...a little gross when I stumbled across a section of the lake that was FILLED with tons of little dead fish that were about to float into my mouth! NAST-O! I also went with the ladies in the family and went to see a musical (Singing In the Rain) at the local playhouse and it was fantastic! I'm always extremely impressed!!! What else....we stopped by a winery to check out the selection and let me tell you it wasn't the wine I kept going back up to the bar for....the cheese and crackers were DELICIOUS! I never knew:) We enjoyed our annual chili cook off, as well as trips to the "Bean Pot" for the best ice cream ever (the Bean Pot is this crazy restaurant right off the highway that nearly all the truckers stop at....so we've had some interesting experiences there!)

Anyway....that about sums it up in a short novel:) Sorry for the length of the blog...I enjoy sharing, and now I can do it for all to read!!! (I know, LAZY) :)

No comments: