Saturday, February 16, 2008

candy girl

I will admit it. I am a candy fanatic. There you have it.



Milk Duds for the sweet chocolate fix....

Twizzlers to fill your movie theater fix...

Starbursts to quench the need for a fruity fix....

M & M's when you just can't decide what you want...


I've found that there are few times when I would turn away candy....but just the other day, I hit that one jackpot time...

Thursday was Valentine's Day which, in elementary school world, equates a day of sugar high (perhaps even sugar shock) and eating candy like there is no tomorrow.

School starts at 9:15, and by 9:45 I was sick of candy. Not because I had really had that much (although, I will admit to dipping into my box of valentine's from the kids and eating some Skittles at 9:00...) but because of the effects that candy was having on the kids. Before we had been in school 15 minutes, at least 3 kids came up to me saying, "I am going to be so hyper today...." or, "Sugar makes me crazy...." or, "I think we will probably be wild today..." If kids, at that age, can verbally tell you that they are going to be OTC (Ou ta control) it's never a good sign.

Thus the reason I was disgusted by the site, and thought of all of the candy that was in my classroom. The Valentine's Day party came and went before noon that day...at that point they had already had too much candy (and they hadn't even dipped into their valentine boxes). After they opened their Valentine's, I told them (being the drill Sargent that I am) that they could have 2 pieces of candy from their box, but that it had to be done before the movie we were watching was over....some of the kids were so enthralled by the Magic School Bus video that when it was over, and I declared the end of candy time, half of the kids hadn't even taken a single sniff, let alone bite of their candy....oh well...rules are rules:) All the candy went away....and so did they....off to recess they went...

Upon my return to the classroom, I found mounds of candy scattered throughout the room, but even worse...piles of candy that the mom volunteers had left on my desk and various counter tops in the room...SICK. sick, sick, sick.

Never have I been so disgusted by candy. It was at that point that I realized how many of the holidays we celebrate involve eating of candy....Valentine's Day....Easter...Halloween....Christmas....plus, who doesn't celebrate good old Packaging Day with a few sweets?! I was thinking that pretty much all year....we have a reason to buy candy...eat candy....live candy....

AYE!

Maybe I will take a year long fast from candy to gain back an appreciation for it....nahhhh:) Although, I did make it a New Years resolution to not eat candy for a year, a while back...mostly for the challenge....and I did it...so it could be done, if I wanted....but I don't:) Been there, done that!

All that to say...candy....AMAZING! But in moderation, please!

1 comment:

Notebooks said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.