Sunday, June 01, 2008

2 Truths and a Fib...

Have you ever played that game? Usually its a pretty reliable activity to use if you are in a group where people don't know each other well and you're trying to avoid any potential awkward silence...

Here's an example of how the game goes....

1. I have been in the back seat of a police car
2. I have never mowed the lawn
3. I bumped into Paul Walker in the airport

The idea is that someone from the group has to guess which one is the fib...you get the idea.

Well, whenever I play this game, I've always been able to use statement number 2, from above....I have never mowed the lawn.

....until now....

I know, I know....it's shocking that I have never mowed the lawn...I always thought it was, myself....but growing up, my dad always assigned that job to my brothers, while my sister and I were given the task of weeding...and up until now, I've never lived in a place where mowing the lawn was a possibility (living in apartments, houses where lawn care was included, etc.)

I just recently had my first lawn mowing experience, and boy was it worth the wait! Our grass was getting quite long, so Laurie and I decided to mow the lawn after a bike ride the other evening. The only glitch was that it was beginning to get dark...we figured it wouldn't be that big of an issue because our lawn is so tiny....well before we knew it, it was pretty dark...so I was mowing the lawn aimlessly. I always remembered watching my dad map plan for mowing...starting on the outside perimeter, working your way in....or going in straight rows up and down the yard...So, in my had, I envisioned mowing around the edges in a square-like shape. That plan was thrown to the wind when it got dark and I couldn't really see where I was going. Plus the mower was quite heavy and awkward....I tried my hardest to be graceful about mowing, but I don't think I was. Laurie sat on the porch and busted a gut while I tried to manage the beastly machine. After I finished half of the lawn, I turned the duties over to Laurie just so she could experience the fun of mowing, as well!




am honestly excited that I can take that "fib" off my list when playing the game...and I am counting down the days until I can mow again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How funny! So how straight were the lines the next morning when you looked out the window? ;-)