Friday, July 25, 2008

I think I became a GiAnT....

Ok...I realize that I am not the tallest person in the world...and I would even venture to say that I am on the shorter end of the "height spectrum"....but for the very first time, today, I felt like I had turned into a GIANT

Take a look at this sleeping bag....




So far it looks pretty normal, right?!? Take another look....



Again, normal....stylish, comfortable, and light weight....



Well, let me tell you a little story...

My parents said they wanted to buy me a new sleeping bag for my birthday...sweet idea, right? Their offer happened to come at a great time because I am going camping this weekend...so I was excited to go buy a new sleeping bag for the trip. I got into the store and saw all the sleeping bags hanging up....and from where I was standing, they ALL seemed quite tall, towering over my head...

I found this really nice blue and black bag and started reading the description...and it seemed like it would work really well for me....I'm not the kind of camper to camp in -50 degree weather, so this bag (although not as high tech as it could have been) would do the job, and do it well for me! I asked one of the guys working there to help me out because I didn't see the bag on the shelves...he went to see if they had it in the back, and they didn't...so he told me that he could take down the floor model and I could get 10% taken off for taking that one. I was pumped because that made the bag even cheaper, and you know that I'm all about bargain shopping. So he took the bag down, opened it up to make sure it was all ok...and it was....so he gave it to me to take up to the counter.

Being the trusting person that I am, I just figured it was great, and went and paid for it....I got home and was really excited to jump in and get a little sampling of what my camping nights would feel like (minus the elements, of course)...so there I was...in my family room, trying to wiggle my way into the bag....and as I was getting in, I noticed my feet hit the bottom of the bag really fast....like I had barely gotten in and I was touching the bottom....I thought maybe the top was tucked under or something, and that's why I got to the bottom so fast....so I took a look at that...nope, it was normal....I was so confused....how could someone, just barely over 5 feet, have such a problem getting into an adult sized sleeping bag?! That's NOT normal.

The longer I sat there pondering this situation, it dawned on me....did I get a KID size sleeping bag?!?!? Nahhh....how could I have done that?? It didn't say anything about "kids" on the tags....plus the guy helping me was trying to sell it to me like any normal adult sleeping bag....he would have said something if it was a kid's sleeping bag, wouldn't he?! And surely if he didn't know, the clerk that rung me up would have said something when ringing up the bag and the label "CHILD SLEEPING BAG" came up on the cash register....I mean, we were even having a discussion about how I would be using it for camping this weekend....



You be the judge..but please, tell me this is NOT normal. I'm pretty sure no NORMAL sized adult could fit into this bag. So...after a lot of consideration, I have concluded that either I was sold a child size sleeping bag, OR I became a GiAnT overnight.

So I am off to get a bag that actually fits...or maybe I'll keep the kiddie bag....it's a lot cheaper! :)

No comments: