Friday, August 22, 2008

National Night Out

I realize National Night Out took place quite a while ago, but I'm just now getting around to telling you about it....



For those of you who don't know what NNO is, check this out: http://www.nationalnightout.org/nno/

There are many goals for National Night Out, but one that stuck out to us (my house) was the one that says "Strengthen neighborhood spirit..." Now, I think I am one of the least "spirited" people ever (I hated pep rallies and school spirit week, I know....terrible!) BUT when it comes to the "spirit" of community...I'm all about it!

Some people do this NNO deal with a bang...Like, blocking off streets, lots of music, lots of food, activities for the kids, etc. Since we don't know EVERYONE on our block, and weren't sure of how this would be received, we went for the low key route this year.

Laurie and I decided to send out some post cards inviting our neighbors to our place on the evening of National Night Out for ROOT BEER FLOATS! It doesn't get much better than that on a hot summer night! The morning of the event I pulled out some markers, and all the skills I learned in the Edu Department, and made a poster to hang on the tree outside our yard....then that evening, Laurie and I "got ready" (which took all of 7 minutes to set out cups, napkins, and the table/chairs)



Then we waited....and waited...and finally people started to show up!! Whew. For about 5-10 minutes I wondered if anyone would actually stop by!! What a fabulous NIGHT!! Since we just recently moved into our neighborhood, we have been able to meet the people immediately around us. That night we were able to have about 20-25 people stop through to chit chat, visit, and get to know one another!

What a fun time!! We had a blast...and are already trying to think of times/ways to get the block together again!!!

No comments: