Sunday, September 28, 2008

crayfish...

So, I'm a good 4 weeks into the school year now and I have finally hit my FAVORITE time of the year....

Teaching the CRAYFISH Science Unit!

I think most of you know me well enough to know that I'm semi-sarcastic and that the above statement was an example of my sarcasm as it's finest!



You know, it's not that I'm scared of the crayfish, or even that I think the little creatures are dumb animals....it's just that they smell SO badly...they die right and left...AND the kids think they like the crayfish, until the crayfish are crawling around their desk, about to fall off the edge...it is at that point that the kids realize that they don't like them at all, and that I have super powers, and can get from one desk to the next to rescue them (or the crayfish) from major disaster.

We've had these little guys in our room since last Tuesday, and they will remain in our room until Thursday...and I must say that there is nothing that I'm looking forward to this week thank Thursday when they are GONE!

I walked into my classroom on Friday and the minute the door opened, and overwhelming stench escaped. I looked in the tubs where the crayfish are living and didn't see any dead ones...and the trash can, with the dead ones from the day before, had been emptied...so I couldn't figure out why it smelled so badly. Then a few minutes later, the teacher next door to me walked in and almost passed out from the smell...and within a 10 minute time frame, about 6 people had walked through my room covering their faces and gagging by the smell. I finally decided to take all the crayfish out (about 2 dozen) to clean out the tubs that they were in...and that temporarily solved the problem. At least they weren't as smelly as before.

The first day we had the crayfish out the kids were just WILD. They were excited, and scared, and silly all rolled into one. So it made for an extremely NOT fun 45 minute time frame. Because it was so wild, and because I am a mean teacher, I told the kids they lost the privilege of having the crayfish out the next day. So, Friday was the day they were going to get to take them out again. I prefaced the time with these statements....

"Remember when you had the crayfish out on Wednesday and a lot of them looked like they were frozen...that was because you were so loud you scared them, and they froze in place. Crayfish don't like noise, which is why they always bury themselves down at the bottom of lakes. If you are loud again, you could make them sick and unhealthy and we will not be able to have them for the rest of this unit. You guys don't want that to happen, right??"

That was enough to get them quiet enough that I could hear a pin drop on the floor. We took the crayfish out, and actually had a decent time with them. We did a lot of observing and learned a lot. About half way through the time, though, one crayfish went sailing across a table...one person nearly got their finger pinched off...and one person thought they lost their crayfish. Oh to be 8 years old....it's rough:)

Anyway...here are a few pictures from our day on Friday...I just looooove these crayfish! AYE:)



No comments: