Saturday, October 25, 2008

a case of the GiGgLeS...

One of my favorite parts of my job is reading to the kids. It's the ONE time in the day when every single student's attention is captured and there is pure silence. I love it because they get so enthralled in what I'm reading and they would sit and listen for hours...literally.

I've been reading them a book called, "Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger" which is a part of the Wayside School series. These books are funny not only for kids, but also for adults. I often times find myself chuckling at the story or characters for other reasons than why the kids are laughing. It's a win-win situation...I enjoy the book, they enjoy the book, we're all happy campers.

The whole idea of this book series is that these kids go to school at this wacky school where lots of weird things happen...the students are goofy, the teachers are goofy, the building is goofy...you get the idea.

I read a chapter yesterday called "Something Different About Mrs. Jewls" which was about how their teacher was acting strange. One of the boys noticed that she seemed "fat" and another noticed that Mrs. Jewls was crying at random things. Long story short, it turns out that this teacher, Mrs. Jewls, is going to have a baby.

The chapter goes on to a big discussion about what she will name the baby...the kids, of course, asked if they could help her pick out a name. Here are a few excepts from the book (bare with me...):

"What are you going to name your baby?" asked Allison. "I don't know yet," said Mrs. Jewls, "What do you think?"..."Well, if she's a girl," said Allison, "I think you should name her Rainbow Sunshine."

As soon as I said RAINBOW SUNSHINE the kids busted out laughing. It was pretty funny, but the calmed down after a minute or two of snickering. I kept reading...

"And what if it's a boy?"..."Bucket Head," said Allison. She didn't like boys."

Again, there was hooting and hollering from the kids because they thought 'Bucket Head' was such a funny idea. One of my little girls is extremely awkward and can't control her laughing...and it also sounds really forced...so even though most of the kids were laughing for a bit, Maddie kept FORCE laughing and all eyes were on her. Ok, so I continued on, and this is where I lost control....

"...And what if it's a girl?" said Mrs. Jewls. "Cootie Face," said Joe...

And with that said, I started giggling because, come on...Cootie Face?! That is pretty funny...even for a 25 year old to say:) And then my kids started BELLY laughing. I mean not just haha...that was funny...it was like they were rolling around on the ground laughing.

I already thought it was funny, and then with them just laughing uncontrollably, it made me laugh even harder. We kept laughing...and laughing...and laughing. I would said, "OK...1..2..3...stop laughing so I can finish reading..." and we would all take a deep breath, stop laughing and before I could read the next word in the book, someone would crack up again...which made me crack up....it was never ending. There was one point where I had to cover my mouth because I just couldn't control it...they looked like a bunch of wind up toys all cackling at the same time--heads tipped back, hand slapping the knee, holding the belly. Wow.

The more I watched them, the more I laughed. It got so extreme that I was laughing so hard I was crying. I finally pulled myself together, we all took a cleansing breath, and I just rushed through the last 3 paragraphs of the book because I knew if I thought about it too much, I'd laugh again.

What a fun story time:) It surely wasn't silent yesterday while I read, but sometimes a good case of the giggles is just what you need! It was perfect:)

No comments: