Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a comforting thought...in light of the politics...

Alright....

SO, there have been times when I've entertained the idea of writing something political on a note, but then I've refrained. Mostly because I know that politics can get people fairly worked up, and working people up, via an online network is not the best idea to me....now getting people worked up in person, that's different :)

But, I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming election and a huge time this is for the person who will be given the permission to "herd" us in the "right" direction as a country. Whoever it is that will be elected as the next President has a huge job, and to think that one man (whether it is OBAMA or McCain) holds that responsibility, is quite frankly, scary.

It's not scary because this is the first time we've ever had a President, or because I think that our country will be worse off than it is now...but it's scary because a human...an earthly man...will be, to many people, THE one that they follow, trust, and praise as our leader. Again, it's not that we've never had a President before, but I think these thoughts are at the forefront of my mind because a change is going to be taking place so soon.

So where am I going with this? While it seems crazy that one single man will hold such a huge responsibility, there is also a great sense of peace that I have because the Lord is the one who will ultimately "herd" our country...I was reading in Ezekiel 34 recently and I am just going to share a few snippets of the Chapter with you...and as a preface, this Chapter is talking about the relationship of a Shepherd and Sheep (Lord and his followers)

"For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness...

....I will tend them in a good pasture...I MYSELF will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays...I will shepherd the flock with JUSTICE...

....I will make a covenant of pace with them and rid the land of wild beasts so that they may live in the desert and sleep in the forests of safety....

....They will no longer be plundered by the nations, nor will wild animals devour them. They will live in safety and no one will make them afraid. I will provide for them a land renowned for its crops and they will no longer be victims of famine in the land or bear the scorn of the nations. Then they will know that I, the Lord their God, am with them and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Sovereign Lord. You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are people, and I am your God...."


It's really awesome to know that despite the craziness of our country right now, and even of the world...although there is so much darkness and pain...that the Lord is willing to Shepherd us; to take care of us, protect us, provide for us, and care for us.

So yeah, a new man will take the role of President...and while I can't even imagine the responsibility that must be, I am feeling even more confident in this transitional time because I am one of the sheep of the Lord's pasture!

No comments: