Saturday, May 30, 2009

Maybe I don't like the dark as much as I thought...

I LOVE the dark...at least I thought I did...

Most people thought it was slightly weird how much I wanted my room to be dark in college. My roommate and I even pinned up several blankets over our window to create the "cave" effect. There is something about a dark room...it's calm, peaceful...just really nice.

Two mornings ago I woke up to the beeping of my alarm and turned on the small lamp by my bed...that's usually a really easy way to transition from the dark of night to the cruel light of the 5:00 (am) hour. As always, after the lamp was turned on, I made my bed and proceeded to the bathroom to shower. After I was done in the bathroom I came back into my room, as I do every day, and get ready in here. Since I share a bathroom with a few people, we all have found it easier to just get ready in our rooms rather than taking up the bathroom space. In any case, I walked into my room, still grumpy about having to be awake, and flipped on the switch....I saw a flick of light, then dark. I thought (for 2 quick seconds) that maybe I had closed my eyes without realizing because I was so tired. Then I realized I had not closed my eyes....

Maybe I had flipped the switch on and accidentally flipped it back off?! I tried the switch again...NOTHING. My light burnt out! Dang...I didn't exactly have a lot of extra time to just start changing a light bulb, so I pulled all my curtains wide open, and relied on the sun that was starting to shine through the trees to prepare myself for the day. Luckily I'm a creature of habit, so I could probably have gotten ready with the lights off and looked the same as I do every other day...I have the routine down pat!

Well, I went to work, came back home, and realized my light was still burnt out. Again, I needed light, but was running low on time, so I just grabbed a lamp from the living room...

This has now gone on for two days. Every time I come into my room, I automatically turn on my light, as if it were going to magically come back on...and every time I let out a quiet "Ughhh..." because of the inconvenience that this lack of light is leaving me with. You'd think I would just change the bulb and be over with it...but the best part of the story is that I'm TOO stinkin short to change it...so I don't have a choice but to endure a room without light.



So here I am, sitting in the dark...and normally I would totally eat this up...the chance to just sit in the peaceful, calm darkness. But now that I don't have the ability to turn on my light, it's getting rather old. Maybe I really don't like dark as much as I thought....

No comments: