Monday, July 27, 2009

traveling pains....

Traveling....

You love it....then you hate it....

I'm sitting on a blue plastic bench which is leaving marks on my uncovered legs if I don't shift my weight every so often. In front of me I see a bright C27 marking the gate in the terminal. To my right is a business man who has thrown any sort of "business" to the wind, and curled up on the bench, shoes off and all. To my left is another man who is clearly unaffected by the bright lights and cold air blowing around this terminal, and is snoring up a storm.

And here I am....



I am about 4 hours short of being up for a day straight...I had a dinner consisting of Chex Mix and water...my contacts are so dry, making for a rather red, blood-shot look...my hair has seen better days...and the filth of the day is starting to build upon my skin.

I am on my way home from Michigan, back to Minneapolis, and got into Chicago to find out my flight was delayed by about 3 hours....a few minutes later I found out the flight was not only delayed, but canceled. The next flight out would be at 6 in the morning. I tried to find a terminal that was secluded and away from most other people, but somehow people found my hidden little secret as there are people right and left.

It's so late that I don't even feel like I'm putting my thoughts together very well...but here I am. Sleepily writing to keep myself busy until it's time to move to the terminal from which I will depart.

The reality is that it could be much worse....I could be stuck on the side of the road somewhere...or I could have gone a few days without a dinner...but for some reason, when things go wrong on a plane/airport, it just seems to feel magnified. You feel that much more tired....that much more dirty...that much more like you would give just about anything to brush your teeth.

For now, I think I'll try to curl back up on my little bench and sleep away another hour....if I can just sleep an hour, I will be making some progress!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I had a feeling I would find a blog about your trip home to Minneapolis. I sure wish I could figure out why you seem to end up with the traveling nightmares. But you're home now and hopefully in bed for a few hours.

... we sure loved having you home! ;-) Mom