Monday, August 31, 2009

I am Woman....hear me ROAR!

No....this is not some crazy feminist blog...so keep reading!

This is a picture of me:



I think this picture describes me fairly well...

*I'm wearing a dress...

*My toenails are painted a pretty pink...

*I have crazy fun jewelry on...

*I am sportin' the gorgeous flowers...

*I have on some cute little heels to give me a few extra inches...

Upon seeing this picture, the average person would say "Oh wow...Tina is pretty 'girly'..." I guess I would tend to agree that I'm girly because I like pink things, dresses, and flowers. However, over the last 3 or so years I have come to the conclusion that while I am crazy girly in some aspects of my life, I have become crazy WOMANLY in other aspects. Let me tell you about this.

I know several girls, around my age, who got married right out of college. This is a beautiful thing because they fell madly in love with the person that they will spend the rest of their life, at such a young age. The difference between those people and myself is that I have had to learn to do a lot of "things" on my own...things that, to some, would be the "guy's job."

Sometimes when I am doing these jobs I wonder if I am losing some of my femininity or perhaps gaining too much masculinity because I'm doing stuff that other females I know have never experienced, and maybe never WILL experience. For example...

*I found a dead, rotting squirrel on our back patio. I grabbed my trusty shovel and scrapped that insanely heavy critter off the pavement...

*I saw a disgusting centipede and chased that sucker down and hairsprayed it to the ground to kill it...

*I had to trap, kill, and dispose of several filthy mice...

*I had to clean up a shredded bird that was severely chewed--feathers flying everywhere and the head left a few inches from the body...

*I had to attack and clean a creepy basement, gathering spider webs and dust on my face and hair...

The list could go on and on....but I'll stop it there. As I was reflecting on all these "things" I've had to do, I began to realize that not only can I be girly (as the picture would indicate) but that I can be womanly and take care of myself and do these things. Of course when the day comes that I am living with a man who will offer to kill the centipedes for me, I will gladly let him. But as I have had these experiences over the last few years, I am becoming increasingly proud of who I am, and the fact that I can take care of myself.

Long story short...I am WOMAN....hear me ROAR!! :)

No comments: