Friday, February 26, 2010

a teacher dream come true...

1st graders are busy.

Really busy.

1st graders are noisy.

Really noisy.

I find that there are very few moments in the day when I actually hear myself think, let alone hear the requests, needs, and concerns of the other 22 young people in my room.

Don't get me wrong...I love teaching. A lot!! But I think my all time favorite part of teaching is the time in the year when the kids get so consumed with reading, that we can go a solid 15 or 20 minutes doing nothing but reading.

Having quiet reading time is my "teacher dream" come true...for several reasons...

1. It's quiet...and oh, do I now bask the silence (apart from the turning of the pages) that falls upon our classroom when everyone is reading.




2. It shows me that I'm getting my job done...when the kids can sit (especially at this age) and have uninterrupted reading time, I can finally realize that all those phonics lessons...all those rhyming poems...all of that work is paying off, as I can see the fruits of our labor in their ability to pick up a book and just READ!




3. I can see how all the ideas that I created in my head for the way my classroom would look, a long time ago, are actually my reality. I used to always dream about how I wanted my classroom to look...cool chairs for the kids to sit at, a computer station, reading lamps, etc.



For these reasons...reading time is a teacher dream come true!

1 comment:

biningshao said...

Track and highlight important trends with data analysis and visualization features in Microsoft Office 2010 Excel . The Sparklines feature delivers a clear and compact visual representation of your data with small charts within download Microsoft Office 2010 worksheet cells. Filter and segment your PivotTable data in multiple layers using Slicers to spend more time analyzing and less time formatting.